Tree Planting - Knowledgebase Question

DeRidder, LA
Question by kmswill
I live in Southwest LA. Due to the recent Hurricane we lost several trees. I bought two Walking Stick trees and want to know the best place to plant them to get full advantage of their unique style. My house faces West.

0

Harry Lauder's Walking Stick is a shrub that reaches a height of 8'-10', with a similar spread. The flowers of Harry Lauder's walking stick are yellowish-brown "catkins," as on pussy willows. The blooms appear in early to middle spring. However, this shrub is not grown primarily for its blooms but for its unusual branching pattern, which is indicated by its other common names: corkscrew filbert and contorted hazelnut. Grow Harry Lauder's walking stick in well-drained soil, in full sun to part shade.

Being a grafted shrub, Harry Lauder's walking stick does require some special care. The rootstock is Corylus colurna. As often happens with grafted plants, there is a tendency for suckers to shoot up from the rootstock. You must prune off these suckers so that the plant does not revert to the characteristics of its rootstock.

Enjoy your landscape!