Sandy Soil - Knowledgebase Question

Milwaukee, WI
Question by LPriegel
The soil I am asking about is in northern Wisconsin is sandy. I am starting what I hope will be a beautiful
garden that is drought resistant because we don't live on the property so watering will be mostly by nature. The question is what type of flowering plants will be my best bet? I want the most natural look with the least amount of work.

0

I assume you are looking for perennial plants for your site. Some good ones to consider are: Coreopsis, Purple Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea), Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia), Russian Sage (Perovskia 'Filigran'), Autumn Joy Sedum (Sedum Spectabile 'Autumn Joy'), and Ballerina Hardy Geranium (Geranium cinereum 'Ballerina'). When preparing the planting area, be sure to incorporate lots of organic matter -- leaves, compost, well-rotted cow manure-- to help your sandy soil retain water. Also, remember when the plants are first installed, you may need to journey to the site a few times to provide some supplemental watering.