Transplanting - Knowledgebase Question

Honey Brook, PA
Question by cjenner
November 2, 2005
We have two shasta viburnum shrubs that were planted too close together. When is the best time to transplant one of them to a different location?

Thanks very much.

Candace Jenner

November 2, 2005

0

In my experience Viburnums as a rule seem to transplant better in the spring. I would move them in the spring just as soon as the soil can be worked, meaning it thaws and is not too muddy to dig but still very early, before the buds swell and the plants begin to grow. Then treat them like any newly planted shrubs while they re-establish, taking care to keep the soil evenly moist for the entire growing season. If they have only been planted recently, you should not have too much trouble taking an ample root ball. If they have been planted for a long time adn are quite large, however, you may want to root prune them in advance to prepare them and then move them a year from next spring. Here are some general transplanting instructions you may find helpful.

http://gardening.wsu.edu/colum...

Best of luck with the move!