gypsum and fertilizer - Knowledgebase Question

garland, tx
Question by adayian
November 3, 2005
I have a number of different trees in my yard including-avocado,persiommon,olive,fig,mandarin,pommigranite,chinese pear,pluot,and palm/sago.I have been told that gypsum is needed for avocado trees.Why is that?Is it good for all my trees?Is there anything in general that it combines well with, when it comes to fertilizer?I love your products there all over my yard out here in dallas.I hope the cold does not beat them up too much.Please excuse my spelling.Thank you.

November 3, 2005

0

Ara,

Gypsum is Calcium Sulfate. I would not consider it a necessary soil amendment in your area. Regular lawn fertilizer with a ratio of nutrients in a 3-1-2 or 4-1-2 ratio (such as 15-5-10) is about right for the plants you mentioned. Wait now until early spring to fertilize. Then use a cup per 50 square feet of soil surface in spring, early summer and mid summer. Water it in well after spreading the fertilizer.

The avocado and olive will definitely need cold protection. The fig and mandarin will most likely also need protection.