Sword fern - Knowledgebase Question

Henderson, nc
Avatar for Davidrichard
Question by Davidrichard
November 13, 2005
This past spring I purchased serveral sword fern and just set some in one of my part sun flower beds. I am now cleaning out all of the annuals for winter and was surprised at how it has spread in the bed. My question is this a type of fern I can plant directly in the beds as a perennial? I live in zone 7 I believe, and it gets quite cold here.
Thanks for any advice in advance!
David Swicegood

November 13, 2005
Polystichum, or Sword Fern, is hardy in USDA zones 3-8 so it can live in your perennial beds without much trouble. If there is winter damage to the fronds, cut them back in early spring and your sword fern will develop new foliage. These plants can get quite large and the root system can become a thick mass, so plant carefully with the thought of digging and dividing every 4-5 years.

Best wishes with your garden!

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by chhari55 and is called "Golden Sedum (Sedum adolphi)"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.