Root Cuttings from an Empress Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Coos Bay, OR
Question by Thunderingsh
November 28, 2005
My father has two Empress Trees on his property. We would like to get some starts off it by root cutting. What would be the best process to use to successfully get starts off the Empress Tree from root-cuttings...where to dig for the root?...how long of a root to cut?

Thanks again for your help!

November 28, 2005

0

In my experience, Empress trees can be easily propagated through seeds (collect and plant them outdoors now), by stem cuttings in the summer and by root cuttings in the fall. If you decide to try propagating by root cuttings, take a short (6-8") piece of lateral root (those growing outward, not downward) with the root tip intact. Bury it lengthwise (just as it was growing before) in a few inches of moistened soil and keep the soil moist but not soggy wet throughout the winter months. The root should send up a shoot by next spring. Best wishes with your propagation project!