Giving Trees as Gifts - Knowledgebase Question

Carson, CA
Question by cutie_pie900
December 9, 2005
My mother recently expressed to me her desire to grow a persimmon and citrus (orange or lemon) tree in the backyard of her newly purchased home in North Charleston South Carolina. As the Christmas season is upon us, I would like very much to make this desire a realty as a holiday gift. Please advise as to whether trees make good gifts? If the named trees above are suitted for the Charleston climate? And lastly, please describe how I can do this from Los Angeles in 10 days or less?

December 9, 2005

0

South Carolina is at the lower end of the growing zones for citrus and while a few hardy citrus might grow there, your mother would probably be more successful in growing a citrus tree indoors instead of planting it in the yard. Persimmon is slightly more cold hardy and may make a good landscape plant if planted in a protected area. Probably the easiest solution is to send your mother a gift certificate and allow her to purchase trees from a local nursery. This way you'll both be assured that the varieties she selects will have a chance to grow in her climate, and that the stock she purchases will be fresh and healthy.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"