outdoor shower screen - Knowledgebase Question

NYC, NY
Question by harstark
December 11, 2005
I would like to use some evergreen trees as a screen around my outdoor shower area. The area is in shade and unfortunately we also must deal with deer. Can you suggest a suitable evergreen?

Also, I have an additional question. You may remember a quesipon I wrote to you earlier. I have some Emerald Isle Leyland Cypress of which about 2/3 has faded to brownish green. Is there anyway that I can make them green again. We just had a heavy snow which I think has given them a very good watering, but is there anything else I can/should do? Thanks.

December 11, 2005

0

Unfortunately, deer seem to be happy to eat nearly every evergreen except boxwood. Boxwood would need at least a few hours of direct sun to stay healthy; it is also slow growing, so I do not think it would be suitable. Perhaps you could use an ornamental fence panel instead, or consider fencing the area so you can plant it without worrying about deer. I would suggest you consult with your local county extension and/or professional nursery staff about the Leyland Cypress that have discolored. Without knowing why this has happened it is impossible to give you a prognosis. They may also have suggestions for planting to screen your shower area. Good luck with your plantings!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"