Vegetables for Southern Florida - Knowledgebase Question

Key West, FL
Question by renner3
In Key West, FL, where we get no frost at all, what can I grow of the common eating vegetables and, if any, when should they be planted? I most enjoy tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, onions, garlic, and broccoli. Also I would be planting most of these in large pots. Any recommended publications would also help.

0

All of the vegetables you mention would be best grown during the late fall and winter months in your area. The summer would be too hot. Remember that container-grown plants can dry out quickly, so be prepared to water them regularly. An organic mulch like compost or wood chips can help conserve moisture.

I suggest you contact the Monroe County Extension Office at
(305)292-4501 and ask for Circular SP 103 (Vegetable Gardening Guide).
There's also a magazine called Florida Gardening that might interest you. (Ph# 407-951-4500, e-mail: flgarden@iu.net)