Sargents Weeping Hemlock - Knowledgebase Question

El Dorado Hills, CA
Question by jjcaputo
December 17, 2005
Can the Sargents Weeping Hemlock be grown in a medium sized container and pruned such that it does not spread sideways beyond about 3 - 4 ft. The height of 5 ft. is fine with my garden.

If not, is there another weeping shrub that can be used in partial shade that meets my criterion. I want to place the plant behind a low (3ft.) rock waterfall.

Thx in advance,
Jeff

December 17, 2005

0

Sargents Weeping Hemlock is a waterfall-like, broad spreading weeper that cascades to the ground. It is excellent planted at the side of a pond where it can weep right into the water like a green waterfall, but it will be hard to maintain a 3-4 foot spread without continual pruning. Kept so narrow, it will begin to look as though it has been chopped to fit the site. I don't think it's a good plant for your use. Weeping plants tend to grow outward rather than up so you may have to change your plans. You might try a Bird's Nest Spruce in your garden. This plant is a slow grower to about 3-4 feet high and wide. Best wishes with your garden!