Trees for a Retaining wall - Knowledgebase Question

Santa Clarita, CA
Question by debbyjcullen
Hi,
I have a retaining was about 4 feet wide in my back yard. I would like to plant a tree to block the view of the homes above me. I need a tree that is fast growing, stays green year round and does not have invasive roots.
Can you suggest a few?

0

If the planting area is only 4' wide, you might want to consider some of the tall-growing hedges instead of trees. Glossy Abelia, Boxwood, Calistemon (Bottlebrush), or Escallonia would serve the purpose and give some seasonal color as well. Fast-growing trees can have weak limb and branch structure, and can have invasive root systems, too, so are not always a good choice, even for young landscape situations. When purchasing plants, choose the largest size you can afford. Plants in one-gallon pots are the least expensive, but take the longest time to mature. Plants in five-gallon containers are generally 3-4 years old (depending upon rate of growth), and are more expensive.

Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"