poor soil - Knowledgebase Question

Abilene, TX (Zone 7B)
Question by blvcarol
I live in Abilene,TX. The soil is very hard and when I tried to grow a sage bush and rose moss, I ended up digging it up because they just wouldn't grow. I would love to grow a small garden and do something with the lawn.I have been rakeing the leaves,and trying to get top of the soil loose.It's been really dry here and the soil is like powder,the first 1/2 in.There is also a wood fence in the back and thought about growing cucumbers,peppers,tomatos,ect,will that be ok?

0

Carol,

Yes you can grow all those things there. Moisten the soil so it is easier to work and then repeatedly mix in as many leaves as you can. Adding several inches of compost is even better. In a season or two of adding lots of organic matter your soil will become much better suited to plant growth.

Also contact your County Extension Office and ask for the Horticulture Agent:
Melissa Clifton
CEA-Hort
1982 Lytle Way
Abilene, TX Texas
915/672-6048

They offer free advice and handouts to guide you in your gardening efforts!