Landscaping a Mountain Cabin - Knowledgebase Question

Wolford Heights, CA
Question by samsanchez
My cabin in Kern County is located 2,800ft above sea level. Temperatures can get down to 40f and highs to 105f. Looking for low maintenance items to re-do everything right. Can you help me?

0

If the cabin is only used occasionally, meaning you won't be there to water regularly, you'll do best with plants native to the area, reserving the more exotic plants for containers that you can put on an automatic drip system. Native plants adapt well to local growing conditions and they are generally deer resistant so your hard work won't be eaten up the first season. Here's a website with descriptions of over 2,000 plants native to Kern County. I'm sure you'll find some excellent choices within the database. You'll see photos of each, plus sources for the plants.

Enjoy your new landscape!