Landscaping compatible with horses - Knowledgebase Question

Williston, FL
Question by krismar5
I have horses on 5 acres. 1.5 acres are fenced for around the residence. I would like to design a landscape with plants and trees that are not poisonous or harmful to the horses as there is a fair amount of grazing pasture around the house. In addition, I would like to line our driveway (400 ft) with trees that are accessible to the horses over the fence. What do you suggest?

0

Some plants that will poison farm animals are:
Tung oil tree, Prickly poppy, Boxwood, Showy crotalaria,
Jimsonweed, Purple rattlebox, Carolina jasmine, Bagpod,
Coffeebean, Bitterweed, Common lantana, Chinaberry, Common
oleander, Pokeweed, Eastern bracken, Oaks, Castor-bean,
Elderberry, Graceful nightshade, Carolina laurel-cherry, Johnsongrass, Oriental cocklebur, and Atamasco-lily (Rain lily).

As for which trees would be fine or even healthy for them to nibble, I suggest that you contact the livestock specialist at your county extension office for details (ph# 352/486-5131). I know that sheep and cows enjoy the nutritious pods of honey locust (Gleditsia tricanthos), which is also a beautiful landscape tree. There must be a comparable tree or two for your area.