Will Stella Cherry Grow Near Ocean? - Knowledgebase Question

Little Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Question by murals4
I have a house on a lagoon in New Jersey. I want to plant a Stella cherry tree. Will the salty air have any effect on the tree? Also, how far away from the bulkhead should I plant the tree?

0

I would be somewhat concerned about salt in the soil as well as in the air, so you may want to look at plants that are particularly well suited to beach planting such as beach plum (Prunus maritima), bayberry (Myrican pennsylvanica) and rugosa roses. Your plantings need to be set back far enough that they will be protected from the worst of water washing over the bulkhead in storms, and far enough that their roots will not push against the bulkhead. Tree roots usually extend about twice as wide as the branches. Since I am not able to see the planting site, I would suggest you consult with your local professional nursery staff and local county extension for help in evaluating the planting site and suggesting plants that will thrive there. Enjoy your plantings!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"