Transplanting Shrub Rose - Knowledgebase Question

beach park, il
Avatar for brettb33
Question by brettb33
I purchased a care free delight shrub rose last summer, and I was wondering if it can be dug up and moved to a diffrent location without killing it. I did not get a chance to prune it.

February is an excellent time to dig and transplant shrub roses, so go ahead and move your plant. Don't prune it yet - you don't want to encourage it to grow until the weather warms up. Take your cue from the plant. When the buds start to swell on the canes, it's time to prune. You can cut back the old canes to about 18" from the ground. Choose the strongest 3 canes and cut the rest out. New growth will develop from the 3 canes and your rose should begin to flower in early summer. Enjoy!

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by chhari55 and is called "Golden Sedum (Sedum adolphi)"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.