Witch Hazel Not Blooming - Knowledgebase Question

Fall City, WA
Question by saschne
Hi,

I have a Monrovia brand Pallida witch hazel. I planted it about 1.5 to 2 years ago. Last winter it bloomed nicely. But this winter it appears as if there won't be a single bloom on the plant. All I see on the stems are leaf buds, but no flower buds. I can't imagine why it's not blooming. Any suggestions?

0

It's difficult for me to determine why your shrub isn't blooming this year when it has done so well in the past. It may not be too late, though; they can bloom as late as February or March. These plants prefer acidic soil and full sunshine; don't prune until flowering is finished. Aside from the above, witch hazels are generally trouble-free. Hope it blooms for you later this year!