Vignetted bush - Knowledgebase Question

Wyomissing, PA
Question by mcg1
I've been looking for the name of a bush. It's has attractive bark that vignettes from a gold color to a salmon, pink color in the winter when the leaves drop. Do you know the name of the plant. It's not the red dogwood bush.

0

There are several different cultivars of Cornus sericea and C. racemosa with color-changing bark that can appear to glow in almost sunset colors in winter, but if you are certain it is not a twig dogwood shrub then it might be a Japanese maple of some sort. Acer palmatum "Sangu-kaku" comes to mind as one with excellent winter bark color that turns coral/salmon in colder weather. Here is a description and (summer) photo, you may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/...

The best way to try to identify a woody plant like this is to take some photos of the overall plant and also close-ups and work with your local professionally trained nurseryman or possibly a reference librarian. A well trained nurseryman should be able to identify it at least as far as species both with and without leaves. I hope this helps.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"