Sick Hardenbergia - Knowledgebase Question

Sausalito, CA
Question by gdisario
I am afraid my 10 year old hardenbergia is dying. About 2 weeks ago its leaves started to dry out and fall off, before that it was fine, blooming profusely right on schedule. I checked all the major branches, etc and they seem intact. Can it be some sort of blight or bug, though there is no sign of anything like that, or is it just sick of all the rain? What can I do. If I prune it way back will it come back or is this it?

0

There are no specific insect or disease problems with Hardenbergia, and the fact that your plant has been established for 10 years makes me suspect that the roots are stressed, probably due to over saturated soils. Hardenbergia needs well draining, slightly acidic soils and it is drought tolerant so soggy soils will certainly stress it. Wait until this spring before doing any pruning. It may replace the lost leaves. If not, prune it down to remove the affected shoots and branches. Healthy roots will send up healthy new shoots. Best wishes with your Hardenbergia!