Creeping Fig - Knowledgebase Question

Thousand Oaks, CA
Question by vivianhsiung
I know creeping fig cling to the wall but does it cling to other plants like Boulganvillea? I have one block wall where I plant several boulganvillea but that does not cover the whole wall and I really like the effect of creeping fig clinging to the wall eventually make a green wall. I wonder if I can plant creeping fig there also so it will be both creeping fig and boulganvillea but I don't want the creeping fig cling to boulganvillea since that's going to make a vining mess.

0

For the most part, creeping fig clings to walls and grows slowly enough that if it begins to reach out to cover other plants you should be able to redirect the growth by pushing the stem back towards the wall and away from adjacent plants. However, you'll need to monitor the growth of creeping fig periodically. So, if you regularly visit your garden and keep a watchful eye out for errant stems and branches, the creeping fig should not overtake your bougainvilleas. If you do not regularly spend time in your garden, I'd be afraid that the creeping fig would take over and become a tangled mess. So, the answer to your question really depends upon how much time you're willing to spend to keep your vines under control. Best wishes with your garden!