Dwarf Evergreen Tree With Umbrella Shape - Knowledgebase Question

san diego, ca
Question by trailn
I am looking for an evergreen tree that will not grow over 10 feet and has an umbrella shape. I do not want the roots to be invasive or above ground. Tree will get only couple hours of sunshine per day. I live in southern california.
Also, do you know of a way to keep rabbits from eating our grass? Thanks!

0

Most evergreens with umbrella shapes will grow much larger than 10' so you may want to consider growing a shrub such as a viburnum and training it into a tree shape instead. Of those evergreen trees with umbrella shapes, these are the smallest:

Dwarf southern magnolia Magnolia grandiflora 'Little Gem' -- smallest; slow growing; Sweet bay magnolia Magnolia virginiana Tolerates wet soil; Japanese red pine Pinus densiflora 'Umbraculifera' -- dwarf, umbrella-shaped.

It's nearly impossible to keep rabbits from eating your grass, unless, of course you fence your yard. Wish I had better news for you!