Propogation - Knowledgebase Question

Charlotte, NC
Question by Jvandelinde
I found myself with the orange seed pod of a sago palm. What is the proper way to propogate the palm.

0

Jackie,

Cycads can be slow (several months) to germinate. Start with a medium that has 50% or compost and/or peat moss and 50% sand. You can also use a compost/perlite blend if you wish. Soak seed in water for a few days changing the water every day, and then remove the outer skin which is orange/red, leaving the white hard seed coat intact. Plant the seed very shallow, laying the seed lengthwise and just half covering it so you can see the top of the seed sticking out of the planting mix. Keep the mix moist but not too saturated. Maintain a temperature of 70 - 75 degrees.