Appropriate plants for container garden? - Knowledgebase Question

Amarillo, TX
Question by czinck
I have two large containers and one small tabletop container on the porch of my apartment. I tried roses in them last year, but could never keep them watered enough.

The apartment porch faces west, so they get really full sun in the afternoon/early evening. We're in Amarillo, TX, where the temps in the summer can get up to 100 or down to 60 or so. In the winter, we've dipped as low as 7 degrees this year, but it's been a really mild winter.

It also hasn't rained or snowed more than 1/2

0

Carrie,

I can recommend some growing season options for you but in winter you may need to retire the containers as that much cold is going to be too hard on the roots of a plant in an above ground container. That west exposure is indeed a challenge. If you tried roses but couldn't water them enough it may be that the containers need to be larger or the potting soil better at holding moisture. That said, you might try bulbine, Blackfoot daisy, or a Tiny Tower Itallian Cypress (may be hardy enough to overwinter with some protection.