fertitizers - Knowledgebase Question

the villages, fl
Question by rbrownesco
I have a Norfolk Island Pine that is about three feet tall that I transplanted out side last spring. I would like to know watering and fertilizing since I planter it outside. Thank you and keep up the great web sight.

0

Richard,

Water enough to keep the soil moist but not so much as to keep it saturated. After the plant is established (a few months) you can back off on the water some. Fertilize the plant with 2 tablespoons of lawn fertilizer every 4-6 weeks from March to late August. Sprinkle the fertilizer throughout a circular area initially extending about a foot out from the trunk in all directions. As the plant grows larger you can usually back off on feeding it but if you decide it appears to need a boost increase the amount of fertilizer applied and the area you fertilize accordingly. As a general rule you can apply 1/2 cup of fertilizer per inch of trunk diameter and extend the circular area to a foot out from the trunk for each inch of trunk diameter.