Growing Cranberries - Knowledgebase Question

Plain, WI
Question by globalcm
I am interested in growing cranberries. I know that cranberries need a lot of moisture. How do I prep the planting area for them?

0

Although American cranberries are native to bogs, you don't need a bog to grow them. They require acidic soil, frequent watering, and (though it sounds counter-intuitive) good drainage. Where cranberries naturally grow, their roots have access to moisture, but their roots aren't soaking in water.

Dig a hole 8 inches deep and fill it with peat moss. If the soil is well-drained, line the hole with plastic first. Wet the peat thoroughly. This takes time and patience, as peat is slow to take up moisture once it has dried. Then, add nutrient amendments to the moist peat.

For step-by-step, illustrated directions on planting and caring for your cranberry patch, visit Cranberry Creations Web site.