Shade Tolerant - Knowledgebase Question

Deerbrook, WI
Question by fludens
I'm looking for flowers/shrubs that do well in shade. We live in Zone 3. Our property is 1/2 acre and heavily shaded.

0

There are many plants you might consider. Some perennials would include Tiarella, Mertensia virginica, Hosta, Astilbe, Aquilegia canadensis (Rocky Mountain columbine), Asarum canadense (native Ginger), Geranium maculatum (native geranium), Phlox divaricata (woodland phlox), Gaultheria procumbens (wintergreen)as well as many ferns and additional native flowers. Among shrubs you might look at Clethra alnifolia (Summersweet), Viburnum trilobum and other viburnums, and the shrubby dogwoods such as Cornus alba. If the soil is moist and there is some direct sun, you might also be able to grow the evergreen inkberry holly. Your local county extension and/or professionally trained and certified nursery staff should be able to help you identify plants that would particularly thrive in the growing conditions on your property. I hope this helps you get started in your research.