Nandina domestica monum - deciduous in zone 6? - Knowledgebase Question

Coatesville, pa
Question by mbsumner
Hi,

Last year (3/25/2006), I planted 6 Nandina domestica monum to add to winter interest (they are beautiful in general as well). They thrived throughout the spring/summer/fall seasons. I was disappointed that they lost all of their leaves during the winter, although listed as evergreen to zone 6. I am actually in zone 6b...and it was a mild winter. Is this a first year problem or should I expect them to loose every year. When will new leaves start to emerge? They are in full sun, in a well drained soil.

Thanks,
Melissa

0

In my experience, this plant is better considered a semi evergreen when grown in zone 6 -- the colder end of its range. First year plants will be more prone to winter damage because they are not yet fully rooted and established. Over the years you may find that they do better/worse depending on the severity of the winter, and on the microclimate where they are planted. In a severe winter, you may find there is some winter damage to the stems, as well, but they should recover quickly. You should see new foliage growth in spring.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"