Camellia - Knowledgebase Question

Mt. Pleasant, SC
Question by RSGillard
My camellias get sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon, but most of the buds turned brown in the inside and didn't open. Some of the leaves developed quite a large brown spot. I had an over abundance of buds but they felt like they were saturated, and never opened. They are monrovi camellias and were quite expensive but of course were about three feet tall. Also something is chewing on the leaves. Please help.

0

Ruby,

Your cammelia buts may hae been frost burned prior to opening fully or may have been infected with a fungal blight. If you still have some take a sample to to your county Extension office to see if they can identify the cause and if a disease recommend a spray to prevent the problem next year. Usually such problems tend to be bad one year and not so the next as weather and other factors affect them a lot. It should not be necessary to spray the plants every year.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"