Hydrangea - Knowledgebase Question

Brick, NJ
Question by acifrodella
I have a hydrangea plant that is getting quite big. I'd like to know when the best time is to cut it back, and the proper way to do it. I know that if you cut it it will not bloom for a period of time. How long and is there any way to avoid this?
Thank you.

0

The bigleafed hydrangeas bloom on old wood that grew the year before, so the best time to prune is immediately after it blooms. At that time you would remove some of the longest branches by cutting them off low down by the ground. You would also head back some of the remaining branches. If you prune it back hard in the spring, you may see fewer (or no) blooms this coming summer. Spring pruning should be limited to removal of winter damaged, dead or diseased branches. I hope this helps.