Good shade plants - Knowledgebase Question

Blue Ball, OH (Zone 6A)
Question by christinandj
The front of my house is always shaded and i can not get any plants to do well there. I want alot of color and fullness. What should I do?

0

With shade gardens, foliage is often a good way to achieve an interesting look with texture and color interest. Hostas offer a huge variety (both in color and texture as well as size and shape) as do ferns. For flowering display with interesting foliage you might also consider lamium, dicentra, tiarella, pulmonaria, tricyrtis, astilbe and native wildflowers such as Jacob's ladder and Virginia bluebells. Finally, add some colorful all season bloom and color with annuals such as impatiens, tuberous begonias, and caladiums. Enjoy your shade garden!