Blossom End Rot - Knowledgebase Question

Toms River, NJ
Question by prime13
I've read that blossom end rot is caused by calcium deficiency and/or inconsistant watering, however I also believe I read that it can also be caused by improper or insufficient pollination. Am I right or was the pollination in reference to somethingelse to do with tomatoes.

0

There are several factors which can lead to blossom end rot: insufficient available calcium in the soil, rapid early season growth followed by extended dry period, excessive rain which smothers root hairs, excessive soil salts which "lock up" calcium uptake (usually caused by a fertilizer which is too high in nitrogen or is applied too often and nitrogen builds up), and, cultivating too close to the plant which kills rootlets. There are different types of "rots", some are caused by lack of pollination so you didn't just imagine that. Keep blossom end rot at bay by providing uniform soil moisture, avoid high nitrogen fertilizers (and, follow application rates carefully no matter what you use), plant in well drained soil, and, when cultivating within 1' of the plant, do not cultivate deeper than 1".