sod and crab grass - Knowledgebase Question

Bakerville, IL (Zone 6A)
Question by lincolnfamil
Last spring we put sod in our small front and side yard. Watered it faithfully as directed and by the fall it was practically all crab grass within a week. Now it is ugly and almost all crab grass. Frustrated. Should we dig it all up and start over? Please help. It was beautiful for many months. Thank You!

0

Rick and Deb,

First of all you shouldn't have crabgrass already this early. I suspect you are seeing another grass. That said, assuming it is crabgrass I'm inclined to say wait if you feel there is still plenty of living sod among the crabgrass plants. Crabgrass is a warm season annual. It could be mowed regularly and tolerated this season. Then next year in early spring you could put out a preemergence herbicide to prevent it from returning.

I suggest you take some samples of the "crabgrass" to your County Extension Office to see if they can identify and then prescribe an appropriate course of action.