Soil Amendment for Japanese Maple - Knowledgebase Question

Round Rock, TX
Question by seanman723
I posted a question yesterday and I think that I listed my EMAIL address incorrectly. It is Seanman723@sbcglobal.net.

0

Margaret,

In case you did not receive the earlier reply here it is again.

Mix several inches of compost into the soil in a large (10 foot wide or more) area. A raised planting bed is also good but unless the area is poorly drained is not necessary. Then dig a hole for your maple that is twice as wide and only as deep as the root ball. Unwind or cut any circling roots in the container. If you unwind them make sure and dig an extension from the planting hole to accommodate them. Don't just wind roots around in the hole.

Set the plant at the same level it was growing in the container. Put the soil from digging the hole back in firming it around the root ball. Then water it in well to settle the soil. Keep the soil moist but not soggy the first season or two to insure the roots get well established. Keep a mulch on the surface.