BEST SHADE AZALEA - Knowledgebase Question

San Diego, CA
Question by richard56
1) I am considering planting either Plum Crazy, Alaska or Happy Days in my courtyard and was wondering which one of these 3 tolerate the greatest amount of shade. Since its a courtyard, it only gets some sun during the mid-day, and the shrubs will be planted under a canopy of palm trees and other palms. Is there a better choice than one of these 3 for the conditions I just described? I'm looking particularly for blooms that are either white or purple.

2) Is the Plum Crazy bloom mostly a deep purple with a hint of white marbling or is the boom lighter in color with a nice contrast of white and purple? Also, is it a deep purple, or closer to a pink?

Thanks.

0

Here are some good choices for shade azaleas, along with descriptions of the flowering habits:
California Peach Azalea (Azalea belgian indica 'California Peach'); Flowering evergreen shrub. Low growing 2-3 feet high. Foliage is lush and full. Large, double salmon-peach blossoms bloom from February to late March. When in bloom, the plant is covered with flowers, masking the dark green leaves.

Chimes Azalea (Azalea belgian indica 'Chimes'); Flowering evergreen shrub. Low growing 2-3 feet high. Foliage is lush and full. Large, semi-double dark red blooms in March to April. When in bloom, the plant is covered with flowers, masking the dark green leaves.

Happy Days Azalea (Azalea belgian indica 'Happy Days'); Flowering evergreen shrub. Low growing 2-3 feet high. Foliage is lush and full. Double deep violet-purple blooms. Heavy show of flowers in March to late April. When in bloom, the plant is covered with flowers, masking the dark green leaves.

Plum Crazy Azalea (Azalea belgian indica Plum Crazy 'Monea'); Flowering evergreen shrub. Low growing 2-3 feet high. Foliage is lush and full. Large, deep mauve (lilac pink) single blooms have contrasting white marbling on the petals with a blush of pale mauve overtone. Blooms March to April with a small show of blooms Oct. to Nov.

Rose Glow Azalea (Azalea belgian indica 'Rose Glow'); Flowering evergreen shrub. Low growing 2 to 3 feet high. Foliage is lush and full. Large single rose-red flowers burst forth March to April. When in bloom the plant is covered with flowers, masking the dark green leaves.

Nuccio's Pink Bubbles Azalea (Azalea belgian 'Nuccio's Pink Bubbles'); Flowering evergreen shrub. Low growing 2 to 3 feet high. Foliage is lush and full. Double hose-in-hose flowers are light pink delicately brushed with darker pink, blooming in profusion from about March to April. When in bloom, the plant is covered with flowers, masking the dark green leaves.

Variegated Flamingo Azalea (Azalea brooks hybrid 'Flamingo Variegated'); Evergreen flowering shrub. Bred in Modesto CA. for heat resistance, compactness and large flowers. Frilled, variegated flamingo-pink and white flowers. Rapid, bushy growth with abundant foliage. Blooms February to April.

Rosebud Azalea (Azalea Gable hybrid 'Rosebud'); Evergreen flowering shrub. Compact, Kurume-like growth habit to 2 feet high. Heavy bloomer of medium pink, fully double, rosebud-like blossoms in April and May. Very hardy to cold temperatures.

Hexe Azalea (Azalea 'Hexe'); Evergreen flowering shrub. Dwarf, compact plants, densely foliaged with small leaves. Small flowers bloom profusely . Plants have mounding or tiered habit . Dark glossy green leaves. Frilled, carmine red, 1 3/4" wide flowers bloom March to April. Excellent landscape plant.

Alaska and Happy Days would prefer more sunshine than the site seems to get. I'd concentrate on the above choices for best performance. Enjoy your new azaleas!