|What can I use to wash sooty mold off of a rhododendron? It does not wash off with plain water. Also, the rhododendren is located beneath some very tall pine trees. The pines are much too tall to be sprayed for insects, but I can spray the rhododendron for insects--should I do that? Thanks
|Answer from NGA
April 6, 2006
|Believe it or not, sooty mold will eventually weather off on its own, or you can wash it off with a mild dish washing detergent mixed in water. Be sure to wash the residue off with plain water before it dries or it can cause problems with your rhodie leaves (it will clog the natural openings in the leaves if allowed to remain). I'm afraid that treating your rhodies for insects they don't have will be a waste of time and money. And, it won't stop the honeydew from dropping from the pine trees above. You can have your pines professionally sprayed or you can just wait for beneficial predators to arrive. They typically show up in gardens when the insect population is large. Wish I had a better solution!
« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage