Varieties for zone 9 - Knowledgebase Question

Swinney Switch, TX
Question by BOERM
I would like to order vegetables from your catalog as soon as possible but I am new to vegetable gardening in zone 9. Would the following vegetable varieties be suitable for my area or can you suggest something better.

Beet: Cylindra Brocolli:Bonanza

Cabbage: Fast Ball Cantaloupe: Ambrosia Hybrid

Carrot: A-1 Hybrid Carrot; Sweet Sunchine

Lettuce: Mesclun Cauliflower: Early White Hybrid

Peas: SupperSnappy Corn: Early Choice; Silver Choice

Cucumber: Sweet Burpless Spinach: Avon Hybrid

Sunflower: Mammoth Sweet Potato: Georgia Jet

Watermelon: Seedless Sugar Baby

Green Bean: LaFrance; Burpee Tenderpod

Thank you! I am from the St. Louis area and have gardened there for several years and am very anxious to begin here.

Linda Boerm

BOERM@worldnet.att.net or lindak23@juno.com

0

All the vegetable varieties you mentioned can be grown in zone 9. With vegetables it isn't so mcuh as matter of which can be grown in different climates, but the timinng of planting. For example, you can grow lettuce in zone 9 to 10, but in zone 2 you'd be planting it in early summer, while zone 10 it is a winter crop. Cool season crops such as broccoli and cabbage should be planted as transplants now in your garden. Lettuce and mesclun can be direct seeded. Warm season crops such as tomatoes andmelons need to wait a month or so. A great website that can help you with planting information in your new state is from Texas A & M University. It's listed below.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu...