Brown Needles - Knowledgebase Question

St. Catharines, ON
Question by tlcrawford
I have a number of Dwarf Japanese Yews that were planted last fall which have some browning of the needles. How can I remedy this problem and what is causing it?
Many thanks,
trish

0

Based on your description and the fact that they were planted last fall, I would suspect this is winter damage/drying due to wind/sun exposure during the colder months. (Evergreens are usually planted in the spring so that they have a season to become well rooted before winter. New plants are most susceptible to winter burn.) If that is the case, there is nothing specific to do except keep them watered as needed so the soil stays slightly moist but not sopping wet, maintain a layer of mulch about three inches deep over the roots area, and allow them a growing season to become well rooted before the next winter. Do not fertilize or prune them in the fall. You might also want to check with your retailer to make sure that is all it is. Good luck with your yews!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"