prunnign dwarf eastern white pine - Knowledgebase Question

Inver Grove Heights, MN
Question by mkathrynbran
We have a dwarf eastern white pine that we put in 2 summers ago. Have not prunned it yet but need to. How far back can I prune and will it come back ok. Lots of dead needles at the base of the shrub.
Thank you.

0

Pines do not take heavy pruning. If you cut into older branches they will not regrow so you will leave bare stubs. You can remove a portion of the new growth tips (candles) as they begin to expand in the spring. This will shorten the new growth and cause the tree to grow denser. Pines generally lose some of their oldest needles each year. So what you are seeing might be normal. However it should not be extensive. If the tree is looking bare I would suggest you consult with your local county extension and/or professionally trained nurseryman to make sure there is not a pest or disease or cultural problem causing it. They may appreciate photos of the overall tree and closeups of needles that are changing color and getting ready to drop. Good luck with your pine!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"