Pine - Knowledgebase Question

Rochester, MN
Question by emcintos
I need a large pine to serve as a screen and windbreak. We live on the top of a rise and the wind can get quite ferocious at times. The location of the tree will be south w/full sun. The soil is clay. I'd like it to be a fairly quick grower. And of course it must be able to withstand Minnesota winters. A local nursery recommended an eastern white pine but I've read that they don't stand up to harsh winds. Any suggestions?

0

White pine is subject to breakage during ice storms. You might consier Abies (Nikko fir) has glossy green, 1? needles on a fairly narrow tree holding its pyramidal shape in old age; fairly wind-tolerant; or Picea (Black Hills spruce) is a nice alternative to blue spruce; needles are short and dark green; likes to be kept moist; tolerates tough sites and conditions; extremely hardy.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"