Pine - Knowledgebase Question

Rochester, MN
Avatar for emcintos
Question by emcintos
I need a large pine to serve as a screen and windbreak. We live on the top of a rise and the wind can get quite ferocious at times. The location of the tree will be south w/full sun. The soil is clay. I'd like it to be a fairly quick grower. And of course it must be able to withstand Minnesota winters. A local nursery recommended an eastern white pine but I've read that they don't stand up to harsh winds. Any suggestions?

White pine is subject to breakage during ice storms. You might consier Abies (Nikko fir) has glossy green, 1? needles on a fairly narrow tree holding its pyramidal shape in old age; fairly wind-tolerant; or Picea (Black Hills spruce) is a nice alternative to blue spruce; needles are short and dark green; likes to be kept moist; tolerates tough sites and conditions; extremely hardy.

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Murky and is called "Cuphea and Petunias"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.