Camellia japonica Nuccio's Pearl - Knowledgebase Question

Pawcatuck, CT
Question by jterence_obr
Is Camellia japonica Nuccio's Pearl really hardy to Zone 6? The plant looks OK, but all the flower buds burned at 9 degrees F, barely Zone 7 weather. We had just that one night below 14 degrees this winter. I saw another online source from Oregon that says Zone 8. Which is correct?

0

Nuccio's Pearl is hardy to zone 6 and is successfully being grown in Washington DC, Maryland and the Potomac Valley. Flower buds are more cold sensitive than the foliage so the timing of your cold snap may have caused the damage. If the buds begin to develop and then the plant experiences a sudden cold snap, the buds could be damaged. I'd give the plant another chance. It may do fine next year.