Gardenias - Why do the buds fall off before maturing? - Knowledgebase Question

Las Vegas, Ne
Question by Jeanne95
I have had 4 gardenia bushes in the ground for about 3 years. They are in a protected area and continue to grow; however, they will produce many buds but most fall off before flowering. In the 3 years I have had maybe 12 blossoms mature. What is the problem and what is the solution? I would appreciate hearing your thoughts. Thank you.

0

Growing healthy gardenia plants can be a challenge, even for seasoned gardeners. You're lucky, though, because your mild weather makes it possible to grow gardenia's outdoors. Many gardeners must winter them over indoors. Gardenias require a rich, very acid soil (pH 4.5 to 5.0). An abundance of moisture and high humidity is the most important factor in successful gardenia culture. Unfortunately, gardenia is often a disappointment to gardeners because it can be very, very demanding. For flower buds to form and thrive, night temperatures need to be between 60-65F. During the day, temperatures should be 70-75F. A very constant, even temperature is required or buds will drop. Bright light is essential, but avoid direct mid-day sun in the summer. Best of luck with your gardenia!