Mediterranean Fan Palmcare help? - Knowledgebase Question

Cornelius, OR
Question by texacorw
I have two of your mediterranean fan palms,about 4.5 feet each. I purchased and planted them last year and although one looks terrific,the other seems to be struggling. The foliage is drooping and not a green as the other. It has been this way since just shortly after planting.It weathered the winter without change, but i am wondering if I should fertilize now, remove moreof the poor foliage so it will put more energy into new growth, etc? Ijust don't want to risk losing it by stressing it.They are both planted exactly the same on either side of a water feature in my backyard. I could send a photo if that would help.

0

If all the cultural and environmental conditions are the same for both palms and one has off-color foliage, I'd fertilize the one that is struggling. Don't prune the fronds off - as long as it is green, it is helping the plant by converting energy from sunlight into carbohydrates for the roots. Wait until the fronds are completely yellow or brown before removing them. When you feed, use a fertilizer formulated especially for palms and feed in quantities and the frequency as recommended on the label. It may take several weeks for you to see a change in your palm so continue to give it excellent care and it should perk up for you. Best wishes with your garden.