Diseased Trunk on Weeping Cherry - Knowledgebase Question

Parma, oh
Question by kraftisoul
I have a weeping cherry tree that has had a progression of some type of trunk disease. I don't see any evidence of bugs, the damage is on one side of the trunk and extends from the ground up to where the branches come off the trunk. At first it looked like the holes in the bark on the outer part, but now there is a split ridge going up the trunk and the outer bark is completely gone. I'm not sure how to help this tree or what the problem is.
Thanks for your help!

0

Unfortunately, cherry trees tend to be susceptible to a number of insect and disease problems, and any opening in the bark or trunk is an open invitation to problems. Based on your description, it is impossible to determine the cause of or the ramifications of this split, so I'm going to suggest you consult with a professionally trained arborist or with your county extension as to how to proceed and to verify that the tree is sound enough to remain standing. Best wishes with your tree!