wisteria - Knowledgebase Question

greensburg, pa
Question by memoxx
Why is my wisteria vine not blooming? I've had this plant for over 10 years and I'm still waiting for it to get flowers. I read it takes around three years for the plant to bloom, but mine never has. It is huge and well established with lots of wood and new growth but never any of the beautiful flowers they are known for.

0

There are a number of possible reasons why it might not be flowering. If it was propagated as a seedling rather than grafted (and you did not see it had bloomed prior to purchase) it may simply be biding its time and will bloom sooner or later-- eight years or so is average but 20 years is not unheard of. If it is in too much
shade or overfertilized it may not bloom. If there are buds but they do not open they are probably being frosted and thus damaged -- in some areas this happens more years than not. And if you are not pruning it correctly it may not bloom. Here are some general wisteria care instructions you may find helpful.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fa...

Good luck with your wisteria!