How deep do you plant a lilly - Knowledgebase Question

charlotte, nc
Question by g_runners
I have been given a Star Gazer Lilly bulb. How much sun does it like? How deep should I plant the bulb. Do I have to water it alot? I am in zone8. Thanks so much!

0

Your lily will do well in a site with at least a half a day of direct sun and with protection from the wind. It needs an organic soil that is evenly moist yet well drained, meaning never saturated or sopping wet. If you have clay based soil, you should add organic matter to it and may need to plant the lily on a slight slope or in a slightly raised bed to assure good drainage. Plant it about three times deeper than the bulb is tall so about 6 to 8 inches deep. Loosen the soil below the bulb so it can root downward easily. The roots should be somewhat shaded either with mulch and/or neighboring plants. Mulch the area to help keep down weeds, feed the soil slowly over time, moderate the soil temperature and help keep the soil evenly moist. Enjoy the fragrance when it blooms!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"