Hydrangea planting location - Knowledgebase Question

Simpsonville, SC (Zone 7B)
Question by mavrick932
I have six young hydrangeas planted on the side of the house that receives almost half a day of full sun. I planted them about 4 weeks ago and they are doing good. I would like some suggestions on creating partial shade if this is going to be best for them. Is there a plant or small shrub or tree to add to the mix that would add a litte shade or maybe some sort of structure?

0

Big leaf hydrangeas tend to wilt in the hot afternoon sun. They generally recover overnight and look fine the next morning. If this is happening to your hydrangeas, you'll want to plant something a little taller that would provide filtered shade during the hottest part of the day. Catalpa, dogwood, redbud, mulberry or even ash trees are all good candidates for your growing region.