Monland Magnolia Watering - Knowledgebase Question

Camp Verde, AZ
Question by sjann1015
I recently bought 6 Monland No. 6178 6 foot Magnolias. I have planted them in 24 inch drawn pots. We are a low humidity, windy, high temp area of 3100 feet elevation in Camp Verde AZ. At first I watered as the label called for, letting it dry down to 3 inches. Some leafs dried and fell off. I incresed the watering and now some leafs turn black around the edges. A flower bud turned black at the base and fell off. I need a little help on their care.

0

Magnolias can take a little time to become established and until they do, should be given a little extra care. In your gardening region, where temperatures are hot, your magnolia will appreciate a deep soaking twice a week. It's normal for the tree to shed some leaves while it's getting established, so don't let a few yellowing or falling leaves concern you. As for the black leaf margins - it's usually a sign of salt burn caused by over-fertilizing or excessive salt in the water (or soil). Flooding the soil when you water will help leach some of it away. I think when your magnolias have firmly established their root systems they will begin to adjust to their new surroundings. In the meantime, water deeply twice a week. Best wishes with your landscape.