fertilizing holly bushes and jupiters - Knowledgebase Question

garden city, ny
Question by royjoanander
our holly bush leaves are wilty and some turning yellow. we also have jupitures planted in the same bed, and some are not looking vibrant. they were just planted last year, and are in new top soil, with a ground cover. do we need to fertilize and what should we use?

0

Based on your description I am not certain what is causing the problem(s) with your shrubs. Fertilizing would not solve a wilting problem, and it is not a good idea to fertilize a plant that is stressed, so I would not recommend any fertilizer right now. Wilting and yellowing can be caused by over or underwatering, poorly drained soil, root diseases or poor rooting,accidental herbicide contact or even by overfertilizing. It is difficult to diagnose this type of symptom long distance. I would suggest you consult with your local county extension to try to determine the cause of the problem(s) and knowing that, determine how to proceed. They may appreciate a photo of the overall plant and a closeup of the discoloration as well as a freshly cut sample kept cool and enclosed in a clear plastic bag. I hope it is nothing serious, but do not wait too long to get that diagnosis.