Ivory Halo Dogwood - Knowledgebase Question

Pleasant Plains, Il
Question by zyzzyva1
I planted two Ivory Halo Dogwoods about six weeks ago in a area that once had 20 year old yews planted. I just noticed that the leaves on the dogwoods are a little brown. We have had a very cool and damp spring. I am wondering if the soil might be too acidic or if a cool, damp spring along with watering may be causing the leaf problem? I have successfully planted many shrubs over the years so I am concerned that the problem is acidic soil. Thanks for your help!

0

These dogwood shrubs are tolerant of a wide range of soil pH conditions and if anything would prefer it on the acid side. They prefer the soil to be moist although they will tolerate average moisture levels. Browning along the edges could signify underwatering (probably not in this case) or overfertilizing, or possibly the beginning of a fungal problem, or possibly some early frost damage. You might want to check with your local county extension to see if they can diagnose the cause more precisely from some sample leaves (show a freshly cut sample kept cool and enclosed in a plastic bag) and/or photographs of the overall plant and the affected foliage. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you.