oriental lily - Knowledgebase Question

tobyhanna, pa
Question by amstell247
I have a oriental lily stargazer, it bloomed beautifully but now the flowers have bloomed and died. I am not sure if I should cut the flowers off or just leave it.Will it grow more flowers. Also can I replant this in my garden and will it come back every year.

0

Lilies bloom just once a year, so when the buds have opened and the flowers have faded that is the end of the display for this year. You should trim off each bloom including the bulge at the base of the flower. Leave the stem and foliage intact and growing as they are needed for the bulb to rebuild its energy so it can bloom again next year. This bulb should be planted in the garden and left in the ground year round. It needs a spot with good drainage and sun. Mulch with several inches of organic mulch year round. Enjoy your lily!